Monday, April 22, 2013

Debating consistency between rationality and God

On my drive home from Myrtle Beach last night I finally listened to the full debate "Does Science Refute God?" a debate that has been replayed on NPR multiple times in the last few months.

I think that the question in the debate can be better stated as "Is the idea of God incompatible with reason?" This is important, because it seems that most debates over God's existence usually entail making God work consistently with science, but I always get the impression that the word "science" is being misused. People arguing for the existence of God probably appeal to science because of a perception that science is more important and perhaps fundamental than reason.

However, science is based on a structured and rational background, so it seems to me that the two camps are fighting to either keep reason and God separate or to integrate God into the existing rational world-view. (Here, I by rationality I mean the exact same thing as reason.)

No comments:

Post a Comment